Public Legal Education
Nishnawbe-Aski Legal Services (NALSC) is committed to improving the quality of justice in the Nishnawbe Aski Nation (NAN) communities. The members of remote communities are not always well served by the current Canadian legal system. The Public Legal Education program works to improve the quality and delivery of justice in the NAN communities.
What is Public Legal Education?
“Public Legal Education” (PLE) is an activity that seeks to provide people with an opportunity to obtain information about the law and justice system.
PLE works to improve access to justice. It gives people the information needed to:
- Help them understand the law.
- Help them understand how to deal with legal issues that affect their lives.
- Help them understand how to use the opportunities and the protections offered by the legal system
NALSC Public Legal Education Program
The PLE program serves the 49 First Nations within the Nishnawbe Aski Nation.
The goal of the PLE program is to:
- Inform and educate the members of NAN about the law and Euro-Canadian justice system
- Inform and educate the members of NAN about their rights and obligations within the legal system
Objectives, Delivery & Access
PLE Program Objectives
- Familiarize members of NAN on the law and justice system
- Ensure members of NAN are aware of changes and new developments in law, legislation and policy
- Engage in “preventive law” by delivering PLE activities
- Provide legal information in plain language and in a format that is easy-to-understand
- Ensure members of NAN are aware of the programs and services offered by NALSC
Delivery of PLE
PLE services are designed to promote a better understanding of the law and legal system. PLE is delivered in a manner sensitive to, and tailored to the needs of, the NAN communities.
The delivery of PLE takes many forms:
- Community Visits
- Workshops & presentations
- Career Fairs
- Clinic Days
- Promotions & Booth displays
- Newsletters & Website
To request a PLE session contact:
Public Legal Educator & Communications Coordinator
Thunder Bay Hub
Cell: (807) 620- 9253
Toll Free: 1- 800- 465- 5581
Public Legal Educator
Cell: (705) 262-3389
Public Legal Educator
Sioux Lookout Hub
Cell: (807) 737-7981
The PLE Program works closely with the Community Legal Workers, the Advice Lawyer, and the Legal Aid Panel of Lawyers to meet the PLE needs of the NAN communities. To contact a Community Legal Worker in your area please click