1 full-time position; 35 hours per week commencing as soon as possible. The Gladue Writer’s primary responsibility is to write and submit Gladue Reports as requested by the judge, crown, or defense counsel for Aboriginal offenders and as vetted by the lawyers on staff. Gladue Reports provide the courts with a comprehensive picture of an Aboriginal offender’s life circumstances and systemic barriers. The Gladue Writer will work in partnership with the Gladue Caseworker, courts and/or Probation and Parole Services in providing necessary client input and updates as required.
- Preferred Community College diploma, University degree or equivalent in Social Services and/or a minimum of 5 years work in a social or justice services environment.
- Knowledge of the judicial system, Criminal Code, and other related federal and provincial statutes, and related court decisions regarding Aboriginal persons.
- Knowledge of Aboriginal culture and experience working with Aboriginal persons; understanding of the northern cultural environment; knowledge of an Aboriginal language(s) will be considered an asset.
- Experience in program delivery and administration.
- Group facilitation, team building and decision making skills; ability to problem solve and take initiative.
- Self-motivated individual with the ability to work with minimal supervision in a team oriented setting.
- Effective crisis intervention skills.
- Ability to engage people to build trust and rapport; effective verbal and listening communication skills; excellent interviewing and counselling skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including database applications.
- Excellent case and file management skills, stress management and time management skills, ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and/or weekends.
- A clear criminal reference check (CPIC) and Vulnerable Sector Clearance will be a condition of employment
- Must have a valid Ontario driver’s license and reliable transportation.
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with education and experience
LOCATION: Timmins, ON
Position is open until January 22, 2018
Please send resume and cover letter including three (3) references to:
Nishnawbe-Aski Legal Services Corporation
Unit 100 – 1805 Arthur Street East
Thunder Bay, ON P7E 2R6
Toll Free: 1-800-465-5581
Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For a complete job description contact Jeff Robert at (807) 622-1413.