Federal Indian Day School Information
“The McLean Settlement”

Claim Forms are due July 13, 2022


The McLean settlement provides compensation for people who attended Federal Indian Day School(s)/ Federal Day School(s) during qualifying years and who suffered abuse or harm by staff, officials, other students and third parties at school. The Claim form requires you to disclose the level of harm and abuse.



One person may file a claim on behalf of an individual who attended Day Schools and died on or after July 31, 2007.

  • If the individual had a will, their Executor/Estate Trustee/Administrator can make the claim on behalf of the estate.
  • If the individual lived on reserve and did not have a will, a representative will need to be appointed as an Estate Administrator. Information on how to become an Estate Administrator can be found by contacting Indigenous Services Canada (ISC). Then, the appointed representative can complete the claim form.
  • If the individual lived off reserve and did not have a will, a representative will need to be appointed by the Office of the Public Trustee, as an Estate Trustee (this role was previously known as an Executor) or Administrator. Then, the representative can complete the Claim form.

You will need:

  • Full name, date of birth, Status Card number or beneficiary number, and SIN
  • Name(s) of Day of School(s), their Location and Dates or Ages of Attendance
  • A photocopy of one piece of government issued identification. Example: Status Card, a driver’s license, SIN card.


If applying for Level 1 verbal/physical abuse or harm, you do not need any additional documentation.

If applying for Level 2, 3, 4, or 5 physical/sexual abuse or harm, you will be asked to provide: a written narrative and include any related supporting documents.  Supporting documents can be any form of “proof” of attendance at the school and/or the harm and abuse suffered. You must remember that some supporting documents are “required,” whereas other supporting documents are only “if available” to you.

Attendance related documents can be class photos, enrolment forms, letters, or report cards, etc.

Harm or abuse related documents can include medical/dental/nursing/therapy records of lasting effects, family or friends providing written narratives, diary entries, etc.

If any required documents for “Level 2, 3, 4, or 5” are missing, you can sign a Declaration as instead. This Declaration must be witnessed by a professional (called a Guarantor).
Witnesses or Guarantors do not need to see or read the claim form. They are only witnessing your signature on a page, which does not reveal any abuses or harms.



Once your Form is completed, by hand or electronically, you can send it by Mail, Fax, or Email. Please keep a copy of your completed forms.

Indian Day Schools Class Action Claims
Administrator c/o Deloitte
PO Box 1775, Toronto ON Canada
M5C 0A2
Fax: 1- 416- 366- 1102
Email: indiandayschools@deloitte.ca

Additional Helpful Resources

Talking or thinking about painful past experiences can trigger intense thoughts or feelings. It helps to talk to a trusted person, friend, family member or an Elder. See below for additional available resources:

Community Support Program (For Indian Day Schools ONLY)
Argyle Claims Assistance (you can request Interpretation Support):
Phone: 1-877-515-7525
Email: idscommunitysupport@argylepr.com
Monday through Friday 8am – 9pm Eastern

Talk 4 Healing
Talk, Text, Chat

Services in Ojibway, Oji-Cree, Cree, English, French
24/7 culturally sensitive counselling, advice, and support to Indigenous women.
Toll Free: 1-855-554-4325

Hope for Wellness Help Line
24/7 Services in English, Cree, Ojibway, Inuktitut, French
Toll Free 1- 855- 242- 3310
www.hopeforwellness.ca with Chat Feature

NAN Hope
Toll Free 1-844-626-4673
Text: 1- 844- 626- 4673
www.nanhope.ca with Chat feature

24-hour Residential School Crises Line
For immediate emotional assistance
Toll Free: 1-866-925-4419
Access Health Support Services & more information
Toll Free: 1- 888- 301- 6426

Indian Residential Schools Survivors and Family
Toll Free: 1-800-721-0066

Native Women’s Association of Canada
In-house elders offering support, Monday to Friday 9- 11am and 1 – 3 p.m. Eastern Time
Toll Free: 1- 888- 664- 7808

MMIW Crisis Line
24/7 support to family, friends and community members impacted by the loss of a missing or murdered Indigenous woman, girl, or Two-spirit person
Toll Free: 1- 844- 413- 6649